Amami Superman Photography

A Place to Share My Photos

Aug 9, 2009

2009 Amami Parade 2

Posted by Amami Superman

This is part 2 of the Amami Parade. I took over 1200 photos in 3 hours of everyone and everything. Trying to chose photos to post is proving to be pretty difficult. I want to share a little bit about the island I live on and I can't post all the photos I want to.

Amami is a pretty small island and there are probably more people in the parade than there are watching, or pretty close to.


Nikon D60, Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 @ 27mm, 1/200 sec, f/4.5, ISO 200 -- EXIF
Marching Band

I really like the groups of kids that participate in the parade. It must take a bit of courage to get out and perform in front of everyone like this. They had some other groups of kids that I'll post in a different post that really impressed me. I'm trying to keep most of these groups in order as they appeared to me.



Nikon D60, Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 @ 24mm, 1/200 sec, f/4.5, ISO 200 -- EXIF
Hostess Clubs

A bunch of the hostess clubs they have here get together to do their thing in the parade. It's not just hostess clubs but regular shot bars and sports bars also. They also had a few gay bars participating but I didn't get very many good shots of them. It was kind of interesting seeing a man in a woman's kimono with make up wearing huge fake eyelashes. Not that they looked gaudy, but it wasn't something you see everyday.



Nikon D60, Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 @ 55mm, 1/200 sec, f/5.6, ISO 200 -- EXIF
Makoto Koshima

The older gentleman on the left is Makoto Koshima. He is a very famous camera man here in Amami. I was a bit intimidated by him but he was nice enough to talk to me as we shot photos. In my previous post, I mention the annoying photographers that would just walk up and stand in front of you mid shot. Mr. Koshima was a very courteous photographer and I felt honored that he hung around me and talked with me.



Nikon D60, Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 @ 28mm, 1/160 sec, f/6.3, ISO 400 -- EXIF
Mobile Takahata
(weaving machine)

This is the kind of machine they use to make the special kind of silk kimono fabric called tsumugi. Tsumugi is famous in Japan for the special designs and colors used to make kimonos. You can find out more about tsumugi here.

Most of the groups you see next are apart of the groups supporting Oshima Tsumugi.


Nikon D60, Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 @ 18mm, 1/160 sec, f/6.3, ISO 400 -- EXIF
Mobile Silk Dyeing

Again, here is Mr. Koshima. I really enjoyed talking with him while shooting.



Nikon D60, Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 @ 34mm, 1/160 sec, f/6.3, ISO 400 -- EXIF



Nikon D60, Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 @ 18mm, 1/250 sec, f/3.5, ISO 400 -- EXIF
Jazz Dancers

They have a couple of dance schools here in Amami. I'm not sure which one this is, but they're here supporting Oshima Tsumugi.



Nikon D60, Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 @ 22mm, 1/250 sec, f/4.0, ISO 400 -- EXIF
Youth Carrying a Takahata



Nikon D60, Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 @ 18mm, 1/160 sec, f/6.3, ISO 400 -- EXIF
Amami Oshima Shokokaigishou
(Amami Chamber of Commerce)

The sign on the truck basically says to do your shopping in your home town or where your from. I'm not sure of the reason for this but I would have to say it has to do with keeping the economy here on the island stable throughout the smaller outlying villages.



Nikon D60, Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 @ 50mm, 1/160 sec, f/6.3, ISO 400 -- EXIF
Tokyodo

My wife's mother's side of the family owns a office supply shop called Tokyodo. They also own a Sanrio shop called Gaba Gaba. The first 3 people in this photo are from Tokyodo. On the right is Ami who works the register. The lady in the middle is Hiroko. She is my wife's mother's older brother's wife. Is that too much? I guess it's easy enough to say she's my wife's uncle's wife? The lady to the right of her is her daughter, Masae.



Nikon D60, Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 @ 26mm, 1/160 sec, f/6.3, ISO 400 -- EXIF

So there is a few more photos of some of the different groups that participated in the parade. I'll post more of the parade again soon.

2 comments:

Jeffrey Friedl said...

In the "Makoto Koshima" shot, and others, check out the overhead streetsign in the back. Did they cover it with something un-street-sign-ish for the parade? Bravo!

Amami Superman said...

Nah, that's the actual sign. They have signs like that all over the island. They take actual photos of places around Amami and use them as the background for large road signs like that.

Post a Comment

Keep the language clean please. I have family that see this. Tell us what part of the world you're in.