Amami Superman Photography

A Place to Share My Photos

Dec 22, 2009

A Walk in the Woods

Posted by Amami Superman

I had the afternoon off last Friday so I decided to go on a hike. I headed to a place in Tatsugo in the north of Amami to the top of a mountain range. There they have a park with plenty of paths that wind around it made for bird watching. The name of the pass this park is found on is Nagakumo and I'm not sure about the name of the park except most people call it "shizen no mori" which means "Nature's Forest", I think...


I hiked around on the paths for about 2 1/2 hours taking photos of pretty much everything that I found remotely interesting. I haven't been out much to take nature shots lately and though I'm not unhappy with the photos I've recently taken, I haven't taken any photos that I find very interesting to myself. I like to share photos of my family or of events that I go to, but I also like to share photos that I took a few minutes and thought about before I shot them. Although some of these shots may not be that interesting, I took the time to think about what I was shooting and how I wanted to compose some of the shots without having to worry about family or the tempo of an event. I enjoyed this hike.

Nikon D60, Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 @ 55mm, 1/25 sec, f/5.6, ISO 400 -- EXIF
3 Levels of Depth


Nikon D60, Nikkor 55-200mm f/4.0-5.6 @ 200mm, 1/40 sec, f/5.6, ISO 1600 -- EXIF
2 Ladders


Nikon D60, Nikkor 55-200mm f/4.0-5.6 @ 55mm, 1/40 sec, f/4.0, ISO 800 -- EXIF
Wrinkled Old Rock


Nikon D60, Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 @ 18mm, 1/50 sec, f/3.5, ISO 1600 -- EXIF
Creased


Nikon D60, Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 @ 55mm, 1/50 sec, f/5.6, ISO 1600 -- EXIF
Mini Maps on a Rock

I upped the Saturation and Vibrance just a bit to make the colors pop more in the above photo.


Nikon D60, Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 @ 18mm, 1/125 sec, f/3.5, ISO 1600 -- EXIF
Tangled Growth

The above photo was kind of blown out but with a little post editing I was able to fix it up a bit. I feel it didn't turn out all that bad.


Nikon D60, Nikkor 55-200mm f/4.0-5.6 @ 200mm, 1/25 sec, f/5.6, ISO 1600 -- EXIF
Whistling Green Pigeon

As I said, the park is mostly dedicated to bird watching. I spent a lot of time looking through the trees trying to find birds to shoot also. I've never actually done any bird watching and I found it quite hard to get close enough to take photos.

Nikon D60, Nikkor 55-200mm f/4.0-5.6 @ 200mm, 1/160 sec, f/5.6, ISO 1600 -- EXIF
Not Sure

I searched the web for the name of this bird and also asked family and friends but no one seemed to know. I also did some post editing on this photo to make it a little easier to spot the bird. I upped the blacks and gave it a pretty thick vignette to make the outer edges seem black.


Nikon D60, Nikkor 55-200mm f/4.0-5.6 @ 200mm, 1/15 sec, f/5.6, ISO 1600 -- EXIF
People of Lilliput

I'm not sure what kind of plant this is but it's called ヤッコ草 (yakkosou), in Japanese. From what I've read about them, this is a flower. I've seen them before but I didn't realize how rare they are here in Japan. My mother-in-law was telling me they had a something on television about these just a few days ago. They only bloom during this time of year. I thought they looked cool because they look like little people.


Nikon D60, Nikkor 55-200mm f/4.0-5.6 @ 200mm, 1/15 sec, f/5.6, ISO 1600 -- EXIF
Not Fully Matured?

I'm not sure if I'm too late or too early to photograph these flowers. I'm going to go back later this week and see what they look like. I'm pretty sure they grow to be a bit taller from what I've seen in the past but I've never seen them with the black wilted looking tops.

1 comments:

Peter in Wales said...

This looks just the sort of place I could enjoy wandering in.

The Liliputians are an interesting and unusual plant called Mitrostemon yamamotoi. It is a parasite on the roots of species of Castanopsis (large trees closely related to oaks). I'm not sure I really understand its structure but I suspect that these are pretty much in full flower, or just past it. You did really well to spot them and, as I've never seen the plant, I'm delighted you took the trouble to photograph them too.

Post a Comment

Keep the language clean please. I have family that see this. Tell us what part of the world you're in.