Amami Superman Photography

A Place to Share My Photos

Jun 15, 2009

SusuMucho

Posted by Amami Superman

I've been quite busy these past few weeks with work, friends and family. I haven't made any post recently and I apologize. It's the rainy season right now and I haven't taken many photos. At the end of last month my friend invited me to his anniversary party for his restaurant and I brought my camera along to take some photos. It was dark and difficult to take photos in that setting but I did my best and I thought I'd share a few with you.

The name of the restaurant is SusuMucho. You can find their blog here if you're so inclined. Of course, it's all in Japanese.

The whole night consisted of a buffet and a kind of open floor for anyone who wanted to play the guitar. Amami has plenty of musicians and most of them play the guitar. I'll post the musical bit in a different post. For now I'll just show you the photos I took of food and some of the people at the party.



Nikon D60, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 1/50 sec, f/1.8, ISO 1600 -- EXIF
Yasuhiro

This is the owner of the store. I brought some tortilla chips and a homemade dip and he is trying it out. It seemed to be a hit despite how easy it is to make. My recipe consists of refried beans, jalapenos, black olives and cheddar cheese with a little bit of Japanese mayonnaise.



Nikon D60, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 1/125 sec, f/1.4, ISO 3200 -- EXIF
Maa

Maa is also a photographer. He is pretty talented with the different shots I've seen. You can't see it very well in this photo but he brought his camera along too to take photos. He is also a very talented DJ.



Nikon D60, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 1/40 sec, f/1.4, ISO 1600 -- EXIF
Kazuhito
(My brother-in-law)



Nikon D60, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 1/200 sec, f/1.4, ISO 1600 -- EXIF
Kanpai
(Cheers)

It's typical to tip you glass to someone like this while saying congratulations in Japan. It's almost rude if you don't do this at a party like this. The man behind the counter is the owner's younger brother, Akihiro. Akihiro was at my wedding reception when my wife and I got married 12 years ago. Yasuhiro and Akihiro's older sister's husband took our wedding and wedding reception photos for us.



Nikon D60, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 1/250 sec, f/1.4, ISO 1600 -- EXIF
Festive Lighting

I was using my Sigma 30mm f/1.4 lens the whole night and this kind of gives a feel of how dark it really was. I love this lens. It's very fast and I wouldn't be able to take photos in this setting if I didn't have it.



Nikon D60, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 1/100 sec, f/1.4, ISO 1600 -- EXIF

As the night rolled on, people finished off platter after platter of food and they kept bringing out more and more.



Nikon D60, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 1/80 sec, f/1.4, ISO 1600 -- EXIF



Nikon D60, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 1/640 sec, f/1.4, ISO 1600 -- EXIF



Nikon D60, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 1/50 sec, f/1.4, ISO 1600 -- EXIF

People came and left but the small restaurant always seemed to be crowded. I had a difficult time moving around to take photos.



Nikon D60, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 1/40 sec, f/1.4, ISO 1600 -- EXIF
Daigo and his girlfriend

This is Daigo. He runs the surfshop with my brother-in-law, Kazuhito.



Nikon D60, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 1/40 sec, f/1.4, ISO 1600 -- EXIF

This photo is a bit brighter than it really was but, you get the feeling it was pretty dark. As I said before, I love my Sigma 30mm. I couldn't take photos like this if I didn't have it. I kept my camera on aperture priority most of the night. I'm still getting a feel for how to use my camera.

1 comments:

Jeffrey Friedl said...

Very nice... you're upping your game, for sure. My favorite is the 3rd from the bottom (lady in blue shirt).... there's just something about the focus that's very nice.

Post a Comment

Keep the language clean please. I have family that see this. Tell us what part of the world you're in.