Amami Superman Photography

A Place to Share My Photos

Oct 16, 2009

Jade's Second Grade Field Day

Posted by Amami Superman

Last week on Sunday was Jade's field day. I made a previous post called 120% of some 4th grade boys running their race. Today I thought I would post Jade's.

Being a typical father, I tend to really get enthusiastic about things like this. After getting home and looking over the shots I took, I noticed that the ones of Jade weren't really that good. A lot of the shots were out of focus or the framing was terrible. The only thing I can think of for why I wasn't focused enough was I probably was cheering too hard to do any better.



Nikon D60, Nikkor 55-200mm f/4.0-5.6 @ 145mm, 1/500 sec, f/5.3, ISO 450 -- EXIF
Getting Ready to Kick It Off

Jade, my daughter, is the girl smiling big in the center of the above photo.

The weather reports the previous day called for a 60% chance of rain. In the morning it wasn't raining but it was very overcast. With the weather threatening to rain, I was afraid I would get caught out in it with my camera. It's difficult to hold an umbrella while taking photos and having people crowd you as you do. Everyone wants the best spot to take photos and they'll push and shove to get it. Sometimes finding a spot is difficult without being rude.


Nikon D60, 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 @ 32mm, 1/125 sec, f/5.6, ISO 140 -- EXIF
Opening Ceremonies


The above photo was taken from the second floor near Jade's classroom. I was surprised to see that hardly anyone had shown up yet. Usually it's packed by this time with people trying to find a good spot to set up video cameras and whatnot.

Last year Jade took 2nd place in an 800 meter race for the 1st grade girls. She took 1st place in all her field day races last year, but this year was a different story.

During these races they divide the children up into groups separating them from slowest to fastest to give a fair chance to everyone. Since Jade is one of the fastest girls in the 2nd grade, she had to run the very last heat with the other fastest girls.



Nikon D60, Nikkor 55-200mm f/4.0-5.6 @ 200mm, 1/160 sec, f/5.6, ISO 400 -- EXIF
Coming Off the Line



Nikon D60, Nikkor 55-200mm f/4.0-5.6 @ 175mm, 1/160 sec, f/5.6, ISO 400 -- EXIF
Battling It Out



Nikon D60, Nikkor 55-200mm f/4.0-5.6 @ 125mm, 1/160 sec, f/5.0, ISO 400 -- EXIF
Heading into the Corner



Nikon D60, Nikkor 55-200mm f/4.0-5.6 @ 200mm, 1/160 sec, f/5.6, ISO 400 -- EXIF
Just a Bit Behind



Nikon D60, Nikkor 55-200mm f/4.0-5.6 @ 200mm, 1/160 sec, f/5.6, ISO 400 -- EXIF
Turning Up the Heat



Nikon D60, Nikkor 55-200mm f/4.0-5.6 @ 200mm, 1/160 sec, f/5.6, ISO 400 -- EXIF
Close 2nd and 3rd

She ran a good race and took 3rd. Although she didn't take 1st place, I was still very proud of her. She also ran anchor position for the class relay and destroyed the other classes taking 1st place for her team. I'm sorry to say that after these shots it started to rain so I put my camera away for the most part. I wasn't able to take any photos of her relay race. I did take some photos after this but they're pretty random and I'll post them in a different post.

2 comments:

Jeffrey Friedl said...

First graders did an 800-meter race!?

Amami Superman said...

Yes, they had an 800 meter race. They called it a road race but it was ran on a regular 400 meter track at the local sports fields. I have a bunch of photos I uploaded to show family. I should see if I can't make a post using those old photos sometime.

The older students ran the mile so I'm wondering what they'll have them run as 2nd graders. I forget what the 2nd graders ran last year.

Earnie

Post a Comment

Keep the language clean please. I have family that see this. Tell us what part of the world you're in.