Amami Superman Photography

A Place to Share My Photos

Aug 16, 2010

Amami Matsuri 2010

Posted by Amami Superman

My summer vacation has finally started. I was asked to teach summer school not only for the town of Uken, but also Kasari. That was at the first of this month. Now that I'm all finished with that, I'll have the rest of the month off. I'm happy I get some time off, I was getting pretty worn down.

I haven't been very focused with my photography lately. When I do take my camera out with me, the photos I take are pretty terrible. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks I'll be able to slow down and take my time.

I picked out a few photos from the Amami Matsuri this year. I had classes this evening so I was only able to go out for a bit and I returned home early. I took maybe 150 photos, but as I said, most of them were pretty terrible.

Nikon D60, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 1/8 sec, f/1.4, ISO 1600 -- EXIF
Jade in Her Yukata

This was kind of the shot I was going for. I wanted the fireworks to more to the left, but it just didn't work out. The shots I did frame right were out of focus and this is the best one I ended up with.


Nikon D60, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 5 sec, f/5.6, ISO 100 -- EXIF
From a Rise in the Park

This was taken from a small rise with a concrete lookout type of building. I found a crushed beer can to prop my camera up with to take this 5 second shot. This is only part of the whole festival grounds. The main part of the park is off to the left and behind from where this shot was taken.


Nikon D60, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 1/25 sec, f/1.4, ISO 800 -- EXIF
From Outside Our House

I didn't have a long time to spend at the matsuri and I had to return home early for my next class. I suppose it was a good thing anyway, I lost my towel I use to wipe sweat away and I was completely drenched. I was afraid I got my camera drenched as well, but it was OK.

I was kind of bummed that I wasn't able to take any photos this year. I didn't even get to go out for the hachigatsu odori. I did however go to the Uken Matsuri and I was able to take a few fireworks photos there, but the conditions weren't that great. There was no wind and the smoke didn't go anywhere and most shots were pretty terrible again. I believe the last matsuri they have here in Amami is in Yamato Town and hopefully it will be nice weather and I'll be able to get out and take some photos there.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Keep the language clean please. I have family that see this. Tell us what part of the world you're in.