Amami Superman Photography

A Place to Share My Photos

Aug 29, 2010

I Spy a Dragonfly

Posted by Amami Superman

Nikon D60, Nikkor 55-200mm f/4.0-.5.6 @ 200mm, 1/80 sec, f/5.6, ISO 800 -- EXIF


Nikon D60, Nikkor 18-55mm f/4.0-5.6 @ 200mm, 1/160 sec, f/5.6, ISO 800 -- EXIF

Here's a couple more photos I took from last Wednesday. These dragonflies are different from the ones you normally see. The wings don't stick straight out to the sides. Instead, when not flying, they go straight back and are together. This second photo was just after it landed so it's winds were apart. When they fly, they kind of flutter like butterflies and not the zippy decise movements of normal dragonflies.

Ugh... I'm dreading the thought of going back to work next week. But hey, it was fun while it lasted.

2 comments:

parv said...

That is a damselfly (belong in the same order, Odonata (just found out), as a dragonfly), which I do not think I have seen before, not with those rich dark blue wings.

I was aware of the eye position difference but not of others.

Amami Superman said...

Thanks parv,
I just thought they were dragonflies. I'm not big when it comes to bugs. They give me the heeby jeebies. The wings look black for the most part but reflect blue back at certain angles as you can see. When they flutter, you get glimses of this blue, but for the most part, they look black. The bodies do look very cool in color though. A sort of metallic neon green as well as the blue on the top part. Although I don't like insects that much, I thought these looked pretty cool.

Post a Comment

Keep the language clean please. I have family that see this. Tell us what part of the world you're in.