Amami Superman Photography

A Place to Share My Photos

Sep 3, 2010

The Milky Wayness

Posted by Amami Superman

Nikon D60, Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 @ 18mm, 25 seconds, f/3.5, ISO 3200 -- EXIF
Mmmm, Chocolate....

OK, now that I got my Homer Simpson out of the way... lets move on. It was gorgeous weather yesterday and I thought it would be good to go out again and try my hand at some time lapses of the stars. Needless to say, I'm still a newb at star photography and most of all my shots, setting-wise, turned out great, but my framing was way off. I've never tried a time lapse of stars (on a clear night), and I didn't realize how fast what I was shooting would move out of frame so quickly. I suppose I learned a lot that night and we'll see how I do next time.

So my time lapse shots didn't work out quite like I would have liked them to, but through this experience, I've learned a lot... again. How's that old saying go? "Practice makes perfect.", but I've also heard that, "Perfect practice makes perfect." I guess I still have a ways to go till, "Perfect practice".

So these are some of the time lapse photos I took that I thought were kind of interesting. I didn't do a whole lot of post editing. I upped the Vibrancy and Saturation and did a bit of Noise Reduction in Light Room 3, but that's about it.

Nikon D60, Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 @ 18mm, 30 seconds, f/3.5, ISO 3200 -- EXIF
Can You See The Shooting Star?

The shooting star in this photo is at the very bottom just above the tree line in the middle. It's kind of small but you can see it, if you squint really hard.


Nikon D60, Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 @ 18mm, 30 seconds, f/3.5, ISO 3200 -- EXIF
OH MY GOSH! A UFO!!!

Not really. A firefly just happened to fly in front of my camera as I was shooting.


Nikon D60, Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 @ 18mm, 30 seconds, f/3.5, ISO 3200 -- EXIF
Shooting Star

This shooting star looked a lot more brilliant when I saw it. It looked like someone was shooting off a bottle rocket. When it happened, I had hoped that I caught it in my frame. It turned out I did, but it didn't look as cool as it did when I saw it.

So those were some of the shots I took during my epic fail attempt at taking some time lapse star photos. I'll see at making a movie on what I did get, but it will probably be only a few seconds. On an up note, I did buy a battery grip for my camera a couple of days ago and I should have a chance at taking longer time lapses next time. Next week, on Wednesday the 8th, is the new moon. If weather works out, I'm going to try again with, no mistakes hopefully, at taking a time lapse of the stars. We'll see how it goes.

Post Edit: I was just trying to read up a little more on how to take photos of the stars. It seems this section of the Milky Way is the Scorpius and Sagittarius region. I didn't have a clue what I was shooting. Not that I care what part I'm shooting right now, I just noticed a lot of people said what part they were photographing.

2 comments:

Che-Cheh said...

What is the yellow 'cloud' thing in the photo? Is it reflection from the city lights? or milky way?

The shooting star is so cool. :)

Amami Superman said...

That's the Milky Way. I've seen other photos where parts of the Milky Way look kind of pinkish purple too. Obviously we don't see these colors when we look up at the night sky, but cameras are able to pick up these colors with long exposures. A really cool site I found that got me interested in trying to shoot time lapses of the stars is here at Dan Heller Photography. He has some very cool time lapse star movies.

Post a Comment

Keep the language clean please. I have family that see this. Tell us what part of the world you're in.