Amami Superman Photography

A Place to Share My Photos

Sep 4, 2010

Clear Night Attempt

Posted by Amami Superman



So this is what I ended up with from last Wednesday's time lapse shooting. As I said, I didn't know that what I was shooting would move out of frame so quickly. I know better now. What I really need is a wider angle lens. I've been putting a lot of thought into my next camera and I've decided to stick with Nikon and buy a D300s. I'm not going to buy it anytime soon, but with that camera in mind, I can buy a ultra wide angle lens. I've been doing a bit of studying on what would be a good lens and I've heard a lot of good things about the Tokina AT-X 116 Pro 11mm-16mm f/2.8. This lens is made for cropped sensor cameras but the only bad thing is, the auto focus doesn't work with Nikon AF-S cameras. Since the D300s doesn't have a problem with this, I'm going to get this lens before before I get the D300s and use it with my D60. I won't be able to use the auto focus, but hey, I can manage.

I have all these lenses I think I need and would love to get, but I think I find myself wishing I had a wider angle lens than anything else. So I've made the decision that my next investment will be a new wide angle lens.

Oh, and how did YouTube get that gaudy top photo for this movie? None of the photos I used looks like that first photo. It's kind of deceiving.

The settings I used for these shots were: Nikon D60, Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 @ 26mm, 30 seconds, f/4.5, ISO 3200, Auto Focus off and White Balance off. I'm sure that I zoomed the lens all the way out when I first set up the camera. I don't know how I zoomed it in to 26mm. The shots were taken with a 30 second shutter and about 30 seconds between each shot. The movie was put together with 71 photos at 15 frames a second.

2 comments:

parv said...

Thanks for mentioning the bit about gaudy image. I was wondering what else would be in the whole movie.

I remember reading somewhere, Wired perhaps, about how to set the image which shows up at the beginning, but of course I don't have the URL|place handy sadly.

Che-Cheh said...

Hey very impressive!!! :)

I would like to get a wide angle too.

Post a Comment

Keep the language clean please. I have family that see this. Tell us what part of the world you're in.