Amami Superman Photography

A Place to Share My Photos

Apr 30, 2009

Amami Sunset

Posted by Amami Superman

We've had great weather the past few days and it looks like it may continue for a while. I'm happy about that. We're finally getting the nice weather expected before the rainy season.

So yesterday I thought it would be good to get out and take some sunset photos. I had a plan for when I was going to leave and where I was going to go but it didn't go quite as planned. My daughter and wife had a party to attend and I needed to drive them there before I set out. My daughter was with her cousins at a park so I had to go pick her up before I took them to the party. It turned out, she went home with her cousins which happened to be the opposite direction from the park. To make a long story short, I spent too much time trying to find my daughter, got caught in the evening traffic and missed my opportunity. I missed the spot I wanted to shoot from by about 20 minutes. Instead I stopped on the road at a place I shot from before and snapped a few from there.


Nikon D60, Nikkor 55-200mm f/4.0-5.6 @ 200mm, 1/800 sec, f/5.6, ISO 200 -- EXIF

This photo is faked a bit. There really weren't any trees in this photo. There were trees in the other photos I took after this one but the sun was almost completely behind the clouds so I doctored this one up with the trees from another. HERE is the original.

As I was hurrying to get to the spot I wanted to shoot from, I realized I wasn't going to make it when I saw how low the sun was. I pulled the car over and raced down a footpath. Out of breath I put my tripod, camera bag and car keys in a patch of thick grass. After I finished I was cleaning up and couldn't find where I put my keys in the grass. I probably spent about 15 minutes looking until I finally found them. I usually put them in my camera bag but I was in such a rush I threw them down by it.

After I finished, I drove around the long way home hoping to catch a Habu or two. I noticed the waxing moon and stopped the car in the middle of no where to take some shots of it. I was surprised to see how much the moon and stars move in just 30 seconds of time. I thought long exposures would be good but it turned out they weren't with how fast the moon and stars move. Or... how fast the earth rotates? Either way, 30 seconds didn't work out. So as I fiddle around with different settings, I finally got a few good shots.


Nikon D60, Nikkor 55-200mm f/4.0-5.6 @ 200mm, 3 sec, f/18, ISO 100 -- EXIF

This photo is cropped a bunch. Although this photo is slightly out of focus or maybe has some motion blur, what I like the most about it is you can see the craters and the color. I thought it was kind of cool.

1 comments:

Teemu said...

I have tried few times take moon picture with some 200mm lens and you have to take quite fast shutterspeed to get decent sharpness to picture. Moon rotates quite fast so it gets blurred easily

Post a Comment

Keep the language clean please. I have family that see this. Tell us what part of the world you're in.