Amami Superman Photography

A Place to Share My Photos

May 11, 2009

Early Morning Fish Market

Posted by Amami Superman

My friend Kevin is visiting and I thought it would be cool to wake up early and go see the local fish market. It's not like Pike Place Market near downtown Seattle, but it is a sight to see nonetheless. So we woke up just before 5:00AM this morning and walked down to the market.

The fisherman leave the previous night and come back early the next morning to sell the fish they've caught. I'm not exactly sure about the rules and regulations for buying fish, but I know that not just anyone can come and buy fish. You have to be a licensed buyer to be able to bid on the fish. After they set all the fish out first, then they start the bidding. Most of the buyers are supermarkets, sushi restaurants and seafood shops (kind of like meat shops).


Nikon D60, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 1/30 sec, f/2.8, ISO 1250 -- EXIF
Ara

When we first got there they already had some fish set out. This large fish first caught my eye. I don't know what it's called in English, but they call it "Ara" in Japanese. It's a deep sea fish.



Nikon D60, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 1/30 sec, f/2.8, ISO 720 -- EXIF
Sazae

They had all kinds of seafood here. They had different varieties of octopus and squid along with different varieties of shellfish.


Nikon D60, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 1/30 sec, f/2.8, ISO 400 -- EXIF
In the eye of the beholder...

This squid was still alive and changing colors when I took this photo. Afraid of being squirted with ink, I was taking a chance getting this close.

After checking out the fish they already had set out, we moved over to where the boats were unloading their fish. This one is unloading Kihada maguro, Yellowfin tuna.


Nikon D60, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 1/40 sec, f/3.2, ISO 200 -- EXIF
Kihada maguro
(Yellowfin tuna)



Nikon D60, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 1/60 sec, f/4, ISO 200 --EXIF
A bit bigger tuna

I've been out deep sea jigging a few times and I've caught a few Yellowfin tuna before. Most of the ones I caught were were around 6-8kg, not much smaller than these. I was starting to think that maybe this was the regular size until this guy finally pulled out a decent sized one.


Nikon D60, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 1/60 sec, f/4, ISO 200 -- EXIF



Nikon D60, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 1/30 sec, f/2.8, ISO 200 -- EXIF
That's a lot of tuna!

It makes me wonder how many cans of tuna this could make and how many tuna salad sandwiches.

The boat down the dock from the previous one was just getting ready to unload its fish and I hoped to see some different kinds.


Nikon D60, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 1/100 sec, f/5, ISO 200 -- EXIF



Nikon D60, Sigma 3omm f/1.4, 1/60 sec, f/4, ISO 200 -- EXIF
A Whopper!

Although I had hoped for a different kind of fish, they pulled out tuna after tuna from this boat. The cool thing about this boat was that it put the previous boat's tuna to shame when comparing size. Their smallest tuna was as big as the other boat's biggest.


Nikon D60, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 1/80 sec, f/4.5, ISO 200 -- EXIF



Nikon D60, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 1/80 sec, f/5, ISO 200 -- EXIF

The three of these guys almost dropped this tuna when they tried to throw it over the edge of the ice box. It took four of them to actually get it over.


Nikon D60, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 1/80 sec, f/4.5, ISO 200 -- EXIF



Nikon D60, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 1/200 sec, f/1.8, ISO 100 -- EXIF
Chinuki

Chinuki is basically the process of bleeding the fish. They cut out one side of the gills to drain the blood from the fish as they did in the above photo.


Nikon D60, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 1/200 sec, f/1.8, ISO 100 -- EXIF
Cutting out the gills also serves as a nice handle



Nikon D60, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 1/200 sec, f/1.8, ISO 100 -- EXIF



Nikon D60, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 1/30 sec, f/2.8, ISO 640 -- EXIF

I mentioned at the beginning of this post that only licensed buyers are able to buy fish, but sometimes they look the other way for old people and let them choose some of the smaller not-so-popular fish for free. I think that's pretty generous of them. They also hold an open market sometimes on Sundays where the public is able to purchase fish also.


Nikon D60, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 1/30 sec, f/2.8, ISO 320 -- EXIF



Nikon D60, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 1/50 sec, f/1.8, ISO 200 -- EXIF



Nikon D60, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 1/160 sec, f/2.2, ISO 200 -- EXIF
Shiira
(Mahi Mahi)



Nikon D60, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 1/40 sec, f/2.2, ISO 200 -- EXIF
Akahata
(Red Grouper)

So that was our early morning excursion. Kevin thought it was pretty cool. I wanted to go home and go back to bed. I was still sleepy.

2 comments:

Jeffrey Friedl said...

Do you have any idea how much one of the individual big tuna would go for?

Earnest Barr said...

I don't have a clue. I'll ask someone the next time I go there. If I had to guestimate, I would say around 10,000 yen for a big one coming off the boat. Supermarkets' markup is pretty pricey and I'm trying to think of how much sashimi meat you could get off of one big one. I'm probably way off though.

Post a Comment

Keep the language clean please. I have family that see this. Tell us what part of the world you're in.