Amami Superman Photography

A Place to Share My Photos

May 8, 2009

Last Day of Golden Week

Posted by Amami Superman

This was the last day of Golden Week. We decided to go out to the river and see if we couldn't catch some tanaga. Tanaga are crawdads, or crawfish if you will, found in the streams here in Amami. I imagine they're found in other parts of Japan also but I think they call them tenaga instead(TE meaning hand, NAGA meaning long). I think that's how someone explained it to me once. Anyway, I thought it would be a good chance to take some photos for the photo contest the local newspaper is sponsoring.


Nikon D60, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 1/80 sec, f/4.5, ISO 200 -- EXIF
They won't come out

Judging by the winners' photos of last year's contest, it seems to me the judges like to have the human element in the photo as well. A friend of mine entered a photo of the most beautiful wave I've every seen. I thought for sure he would have placed with it. He didn't. I didn't think the winners from last year were very deserving. I think the judges maybe a bit bias when considering all photos and tend to lean toward the MORE amateur photos. Either way, I'll submit some photos with people in them and some of just rivers and streams and see how it goes. If I don't place, I won't beat myself up over it.


Nikon D60, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 1/100 sec, f/5, ISO 200 -- EXIF
Maybe they're not hungry?

At first, none came out to eat the pieces of rice we were sprinkling in the water. Then we noticed very small ones coming out to eat but none of the big ones we like to catch and eat.



Nikon D60, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 1/125 sec, f/5.6, ISO 125 -- EXIF
Missy

This is our dog Missy. She is a mixed breed. Her mother was a Miniature Schnauzer and her father was a Yorkshire Terrier. We bought her from an online pet shop in Nagoya two years ago. She is a very good dog.



Nikon D60, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 1/125 sec, f/5.6, ISO 140 -- EXIF
Purple Flowers

I don't know what these flowers are called but they are in full bloom around the island.


Nikon D60, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 1/125 sec, f/5.6, ISO 160 -- EXIF



Nikon D60, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 1/125 sec, f/5.6, ISO 200 -- EXIF
The water sure felt nice

It was pretty warm that day and we even got a bit sun burnt by the end of the day. The cool water felt refreshing.



Nikon D60, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 1/50 sec, f/3.5, ISO 200 -- EXIF
A Shady Spot

I got right down next to the water to get this photo. I like this photo and the next one the best. We'll have to see what other photos I can take between now and the contest deadline before I decide which I want to submit.


Nikon D60, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 1/60 sec, f/4, ISO 200 -- EXIF
Portrait Style



Nikon D60, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 1/125 sec, f/5.6, ISO 160 -- EXIF
All the makings of a perfect day

It was such a beautiful day that day. Looking up the river like this kind of reminded me of the rivers from around my home town in America. We would go tubing down them every year in the summer.


Nikon D60, Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 @ 48mm, 1/50 sec, f/5.6, ISO 200 -- EXIF
Itty Bitty Tanaga

We caught just a few and instead of cooking them up, we put them our big fish tank we have at home. They seem to be pretty happy and content there.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Keep the language clean please. I have family that see this. Tell us what part of the world you're in.