Amami Superman Photography

A Place to Share My Photos

Oct 10, 2010

Coming of Age

Posted by Amami Superman

Nikon D60, Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 @ 55mm, 1/80 sec, f/10, ISO 200 -- EXIF
Japanese Cicada Molting

I took this shot at one of my the elementary/junior high schools I teach at in Uken. During lunch time while I was eating lunch with some of my students, I found this little guy on the tree next to me. I knew it was a cicada, but I didn't know what part of its life cycle this was. It turns out, after some study, that it's in the middle of molting. After coming out of its shell it will have wings. This is when they sit in trees and sing their boisterous songs to let you know, it's summer.

1 comments:

dug-3d said...

WOW!

Post a Comment

Keep the language clean please. I have family that see this. Tell us what part of the world you're in.