Amami Superman Photography

A Place to Share My Photos

Apr 30, 2010

Cotton Candy

Posted by Amami Superman

Nikon D60, Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 @ 55mm, 1/800 sec, f/5.6, ISO 200 -- EXIF

It's been a very busy month for me. I was asked at the beginning of March if I would be an Assistant Language Teacher (ALT), for the Uken Village here in Amami. I talked it over with my wife and we decided it would be a good thing if I tried it out. The new school year here in Japan starts in April so I started teaching after the first week the students started school. There are 5 different schools that I visit twice a month. The furthest away takes an hour and a half to drive to. I was apprehensive about taking the job at first just because of the distance I would have to travel some days, but after my first month, I'm glad to say it's all worth it. I enjoy teaching kids English. Another plus side to this is it's a good way to promote my own businesses. Living on a small island is all about who you know, so getting out there and meeting new people always helps out. My wife's mother's side of the family is also from Uken Village so when I told my students and the people I work with who I'm married to and what family I'm apart of, they accepted me with open arms.

We are now just starting what the Japanese call "Golden Week". Golden Week is a bunch of holidays starting at the end of April and goes on into May. If you get timing right, you can have a whole week or more off for vacation like we have this year. So today is my second day of Golden Week. I've been so busy with my own work and my new teaching job, I just haven't had time to focus on my blog. I've taken loads of photos, but I just don't have the time to go through them. So today I'm taking the time to go through them and try to make a quick post to let you all know I'm doing fantastic and I'm still here.

As I said, I've taken loads of photos in the past couple of weeks. I have so many, I just decided to choose one photo to share with you today so I can get back to going through the rest.

Yesterday they had an event called osakana matsuri, which basically means, "fish festival". They had loads of different booths that you could buy different sea food from, cooked and uncooked. They also had different events for the children and even a cotton candy booth for them. This is one of the random shots I took that I decided to share with you. This photo has been cropped a bit and I've also adjusted some of the variable settings inside of Lightroom 2, but nothing too drastic. Hopefully I'll be able to get through most of my photos today and make some new posts for you all. From just this fish festival event, I took over 500 photos. I didn't realize I took so many. I also have a lot of photos of barbecues and of days we went to the beach. I'll do my best to sort through them all today.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Keep the language clean please. I have family that see this. Tell us what part of the world you're in.