Amami Superman Photography

A Place to Share My Photos

Apr 6, 2010

Hunting for Waterfalls

Posted by Amami Superman

Nikon D60, Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 @ 20mm, 1/200 sec, f/4.0, ISO 400 -- EXIF
Another Gesture of Irresponsibility

I don't think of myself as an environmentalist, but I do find a sense of sadness and anger when I see sights like this. I wasn't born here in Amami, nor Japan for that matter, but over the past 13 years it's become my home and it feels like my home more than any other place I've lived. This kind of blatant disregard makes me shake my head in awe and I wonder how someone can just leave something like this and not feel any guilt or remorse.

So there I was, out for a drive with my family looking for things to photograph and places we could play. I saw a small stream as we were driving through the mountains and I decided to stop and see if there was anything to photograph. The above photo was just off the side of the road where we parked the car. Just to the side of the road near the stream was a path and we made our way into the forest there.

Up till then we had pretty sunny weather but it kind of got overcast when we stopped to get out.


Nikon D60, Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 @ 18mm, 1/60 sec, f/3.5, ISO 1600 -- EXIF
Very Old Bridge

About 50 meters or so into the forest, we came across a very old bridge. The forest had grown in around and on the bridge so much, there was no sign of an old road what so ever. I figure that this bridge was used for the original road when it wasn't a paved road. If you look, you can actually see pretty big trees that have grown on top of the bridge. It was kind of a cool looking old bridge so I threw it in.

While my wife and daughter were playing down by the stream, I started to climb up the mountain running parallel to the stream looking for any kind of waterfall I might be able to photograph.


Nikon D60, Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 @ 18mm, 13 sec, f/14, ISO 100 -- EXIF
The End of My Climb

I probably climbed up the side of the mountain for about 10 minutes until I finally came to a very small waterfall. It was a couple hundred meters from where we were parked by the road, but I had my tripod and my camera bag with me so it was slow going.


Nikon D60, Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 @ 55mm, 1/250 sec, f/5.6, ISO 100 -- EXIF
Sunny Fern

On the way back down the mountain, the sun poked out through the clouds and I took a moment to photograph this fern which I thought turned out kind of nice. I upped the Saturation a bit to make the colors pop.

1 comments:

garth said...

That bridge picture reminds me of something from the Lord of the Rings. Remnants of a long past Numinorian civilization. Easily could see a bunch of Orcs running across there!

Post a Comment

Keep the language clean please. I have family that see this. Tell us what part of the world you're in.