Amami Superman Photography

A Place to Share My Photos

Feb 8, 2010

Mame Maki 2010

Posted by Amami Superman

Nikon D60, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 1/200 sec, f/2.0, ISO 800 -- EXIF
Mame Maki Peanuts

Every year during setsubun, they have a festival/celebration type ceremony called mame maki. Mame maki basically means bean throwing. Usually dried soybeans are used, but peanuts can also be used. The beans are a symbol of good luck and can be used to throw at demons to drive them away or to throw at others for good luck. I found a nice explanation of what the beans symbolize here under "fukumame".


Nikon D60, Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 @ 18mm, 1/500 sec, f/3.5, ISO 400 -- EXIF
A Crowd Is Forming

When I first got to the shrine that day, there was no one in sight. As it got closer to otakiage, more people started to show up. After the otakiage, there was a nice little crowd starting to form.


Nikon D60, Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 @ 22mm, 1/200 sec, f/4.0, ISO 400 -- EXIF
Almost Time

I imagine that if the setsubun fell on a weekend day, there would be plenty more people. As it turned out, setsubun fell on a Wednesday. Mame maki was set for 3:00pm so people would still be at work and elementary children and up would still be in school.


Nikon D60, Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 @ 36mm, 1/100 sec, f/5.3, ISO 200 -- EXIF
Anticipation

These children in the red hats are from a pre-school. Most pre-schools finish at 2:00pm here in Amami so I imagine these kids are apart of the after-school daycare service most pre-schools provide.


Nikon D60, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 1/1250 sec, f/1.4, ISO 400 -- EXIF
The Bean Throwers

Before the actually bean throwing, the people throwing the beans went inside the shrine and participated in some sort of rite. After the rite was performed, they came out with the beans and got ready.

It was about this time that my photos really started to suck. From motion blur to out of focus shots, I wanted to kick myself after I saw them that evening. If the out-of-focus shots were in focus, I think they would have been some really great shots. The mame maki only lasted a minute or so, so I didn't have a chance to check to see how they were turning out. I was so excited to get home and check them out. When I did get home and looked at them, I wanted to go into a rage and destroy something. Well, not really. I was just sad I screwed them up. I did get a few OK shots though.


Nikon D60, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 1/640 sec, f/1.4, ISO 400 -- EXIF
Let the Throwing Begin!


Nikon D60, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 1/1250 sec, f/1.4, ISO 400 -- EXIF
Mid-catch


Nikon D60, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 1/1600 sec, f/1.4, ISO 400 -- EXIF
Ready to Catch


Nikon D60, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 1/1000 sec, f/1.4, ISO 400 -- EXIF
Scrounging

It was amazing to see even the older folks getting down and scrounging up the peanuts that fell to the ground. It reminded me of little kids gathering up candy after a piñata had been cracked open.


Nikon D60, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 1/250 sec, f/1.4, ISO 400 -- EXIF
Standing in Line

After the mame maki, they handed out omamori which are basically good luck charms. The actual word mamoru means to protect or defend. So an actual direct translation would be a protection charm.


Nikon D60, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 1/125 sec, f/1.4, ISO 800 -- EXIF
Handing Out the Omamori


Nikon D60, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 1/1250 sec, f/1.4, ISO 200 -- EXIF
All Set for the New Year

When I first heard about setsubun, my first question was, why don't they do the good luck thing during New Years instead of a month after? I first thought that maybe it had to do with the Chinese calendar but after a bit of study, I found I was wrong. I thought I would take a bit to explain what setsubun is.

Setsu means season and bun means part or division. They use the word setsubun to refer to the day before the first day of a season. Now days, setsubun is referred to as the day before the first day of Spring. Although they had calendars thousands of years ago in Japan, not everyone used them. Instead, many people went off the lunar cycles for their calendar. Because the the Spring setsubun was also the day before the Lunar New Year, it was also considered New Year's Eve.

So to answer my first question, why don't they do the good luck thing during New Years instead of a month later? Well they do, if you use the lunar calendar like they did a long time ago.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Keep the language clean please. I have family that see this. Tell us what part of the world you're in.