Amami Superman Photography

A Place to Share My Photos

Feb 28, 2010

Panning Practice with a Manual Focus Lens

Posted by Amami Superman

Nikkon D60, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8, 1/60 sec, ISO 200 -- EXIF
1.

Just after work, I was sitting at my desk looking at the different lenses Nikon has. I was reading on some scrub site different things about Nikon's DX lenses that even though they say "DX", they're still about 1.5x focal length. If that's the case, why even give the name "DX" to them in the first place. I didn't believe what I read. I know that if you put a DX lens on an FX camera, you get vignetting. I soon dismissed what I had read and kept looking at other lenses. I then started to think how big a 1.5x focal length is. I got out the Nikon FM2 with a Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 lens and looked at different things through the viewfinder. As I said in a previous post, it was sort of like looking through the viewfinder of my D60 with my Sigma 30mm lens. Although the D60 has a smaller viewfinder, angle of view wise, they seemed similar. I then took the 50mm f/1.8 and stuck it on my D60. It was a completely different angle of view. Although this lens is a manual focus lens, I thought it would be good to practice with.

I looked out my classroom window down at the street so see if there was anything interesting to photograph. Nothing much. Then I decided to take some photos of people riding buy on bikes and scooters. The first thing I noticed, trying to take panning shots while focusing manually is tough, especially with a small viewfinder. But I stuck with it for a while.

There's nothing particularly fantastic about these photos. Just something I thought would be cool to try. The photos were taking with an aperture of about f/5.6. I switched up to f/8.0 near the end to get a wider plain of focus (probably for the ISO 800 photos).

Anyway, it was fun practice and these are some of the shots I got.


Nikon D60, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8, 1/50 sec, ISO 200 -- EXIF
2.


Nikon D60, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8, 1/50 sec, ISO 200 -- EXIF
3.

I decided to take it down to the street and see what it would be like at ground level.


Nikon D60, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8, 1/50 sec, ISO 400 -- EXIF
4.


Nikon D60, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8, 1/50 sec, ISO 400 -- EXIF
5.


Nikon D60, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8, 1/50 sec, ISO 800 -- EXIF
6.


Nikon D60, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8, 1/50 sec, ISO 800 -- EXIF
7.


Nikon D60, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8, 1/50 sec, ISO 800 -- EXIF
8.


Nikon D60, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8, 1/50 sec, ISO 800 -- EXIF
9.

So there you have it. Some of the photos weren't focused that well or they had motion blur. But they weren't too terrible in my opinion.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Keep the language clean please. I have family that see this. Tell us what part of the world you're in.