Amami Superman Photography

A Place to Share My Photos

Feb 20, 2010

Mangetsu Okonomiyaki

Posted by Amami Superman

I usually have to work late on Tuesday nights and my wife had a PTA meeting to attend (so she thought but really didn't). I had some time between my classes and we decided to catch dinner early before my wife left for PTA at a place called "Mangetsu". Mangetsu is an okonomiyaki shop.

Mangetsu means full moon in Japanese. Okonomiyaki is kind of like a Japanese style pancake. My wife loves okonomiyaki and I have come to like it a lot too, although, not as much as her. Okonomiyaki consists of chopped up cabbage mixed in with batter; that's the primary base for the pancake. After that you add in pretty much whatever you like. My wife always goes for the shrimp in hers. I wanted to go with something a bit different so I went with the fried pork and kimchi with a fried egg on top. I know, it may sound completely gross, but it's actually pretty good. Here are some of the photos I took. It was a pretty dark shop and I used my Sigma 30mm f/1.4 so these photos are a lot brighter than it actually was. I also got away with some pretty slow shutter speeds (bracing my arms on the table).

Nikon D60, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 1/50 sec, f/1.6, ISO 1600 -- EXIF
Hikari's Shrimp Okonomiyaki


Nikon D60, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 1/40 sec, f/1.6, ISO 1600 -- EXIF
My Buta Kimuchi Okonomiyaki
(fried pork & kimchi)


Nikon D60, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 1/125 sec, f/1.6, ISO 1600 -- EXIF
Letting Them Cook


Nikon D60, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 1/13 sec, f/3.5, ISO 1600 -- EXIF
Someone Looks Hungry
(just after they flipped them)


Nikon D60, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 1/13 sec, f/3.5, ISO 1600 -- EXIF
Cooking My Egg

It's kind of cool how they cooked the egg to the top of mine. They just slid it over, cracked an egg, broke the egg and set the okonomiyaki on the egg to cook. I was expecting them to just come and fry and egg and set it on top.


Nikon D60, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 1/40 sec, f/1.4, ISO 1600 -- EXIF
Digging In


Nikon D60, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 1/30 sec, f/1.4, ISO 1600 -- EXIF
Okonomiyaki, YUM!

So that is the okonomiyaki we ate at Mangetsu. Very tasty.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Keep the language clean please. I have family that see this. Tell us what part of the world you're in.