Amami Superman Photography

A Place to Share My Photos

May 20, 2010

Catching Habu

Posted by Amami Superman

Nikon D60, Nikkor 55-200mm f/4.0-5.6 @ 125mm, 1/30 sec, f/6.3, ISO 1600 -- EXIF


Nikon D60, Nikkor 55-200mm f/4.0-5.6 @ 122mm, 1/30 sec, f/6.3, ISO 1600 -- EXIF

Here are two shots I took of the habu I caught the night I took the photos of the glow-in-the-dark mushrooms. Both photos are of the same habu. I had the camera set to manual and I don't know why I didn't put the aperture to 5.6 and maybe get a faster shutter speed. I think I may have been too excited and thinking more about the snake than the camera. I suppose that's why I like catching them; they give you such a rush being that close to something so deadly. But then you actually think about it and it's even more mind boggling; how can something with no arms and no legs be so dangerous? Anyway, I guess they're really not all that deadly from what I read, but still serious business none the less.

We're smack in the middle of the rainy season here in Amami and it's been raining like no one's business. I haven't tried to go take photos in the rain yet this year so I'm going through my more recent photos and posting the ones didn't get around to posting yet. Mostly shots of flowers and whatnot.

2 comments:

Jeffrey Friedl said...

What is the snake biting in the 2nd photo? At first I thought it was a shot mid strike, but it looks as though he's biting something made of dark black rubber....

Amami Superman said...

That is my habu "bou" (bough?). It's a long stick about 4cm x 6cm x 130cm. It has a long round metal rod running down its length and the rod has a hook on the end that fits over the end of the stick. The rubber is to keep from damaging the habu. I suppose the best way to show you what it is would be take take some photos of it. So next time I'll do that when I'm out. I'll show you what I use to catch habu.

Post a Comment

Keep the language clean please. I have family that see this. Tell us what part of the world you're in.