Amami Superman Photography

A Place to Share My Photos

May 27, 2010

I Used My Flash!

Posted by Amami Superman

Nikon D60, Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 @ 55mm, 1/60 sec, f/5.6, ISO 200 -- EXIF
Cannibal Snake


Nikon D60, Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 @ 36mm, 1/60 sec, f/5.3, ISO 200 -- EXIF
So where does that put you on the food chain?

I had to work late last night out in rural part of the island. It was well into the evening when I finished work and as I was driving home, I came across the amazing sight.

The name of this snake is mamushi. Mamushi are similar to habu in the fact that they are poisonous with the same type of venom (only weaker), but the similarities stop there. This snake is short when compared to other snakes. I would say on average they grow to be about 30 to 50 centimeters long. The one doing the eating is about 40 centimeters long. I've heard of snakes here in Amami eating other kinds of snakes, but I've never seen nor heard of a snake eating its own kind. Mamushi are pretty timid snakes and aren't very aggressive. You could step right up next to one almost touching it and it would do nothing. On the other hand, if you stepped on it, you would be in a world of hurt.

I've been trying to take photos of habu but haven't had very good luck taking nice ones. Last night I decided if I came across one, I would try to use my built in flash. I didn't find one, but I did take these photos using it. I thought they turned out pretty well for my first time and I think I'll try to use it again next time I'm out snake hunting. :P I'm also going to try and take photos of the other kinds of snakes they have here on the island and also give a rundown on the different things I use to catch them.

2 comments:

Jeffrey Friedl said...

Weird. Do you think it was just hungry, or is there some kind of snake social commentary going on (e.g. only room for one dominant male)?

Amami Superman said...

I really don't know. As I said, I've heard of other snakes eating other kinds of snakes, but this is the first time I've ever seen one eating it's own kind. I'll have to ask some experts about this.

Post a Comment

Keep the language clean please. I have family that see this. Tell us what part of the world you're in.