Amami Superman Photography

A Place to Share My Photos

May 13, 2010

Jade's First Fish

Posted by Amami Superman

I took Jade out fishing at the end of March. I took her fishing before when she was younger, but she was too young to hold a rod so this was her first time actually fishing.

Nikon D60, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 1/1250 sec, f/2.8, ISO 100 -- EXIF
Trash Fish

This isn't the first fish Jade caught, but it's the kind I caught the whole time we were there. I brought two kinds of fishing rods; one bait rod and one lure rod. I brought the bait rod for Jade and we used small shrimp(krill), called okiami. I baited her hooks for her and while she fished, I used my short lure rod with a heavy spinner for longer casts because we had just a bit of wind that day. I didn't have any luck besides trash fish like the one in the above photo.


Nikon D60, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 1/125 sec, f/6.3, ISO 100 -- EXIF
Some Snack While We Fish

For the first hour, Jade didn't get any hits. We had a few snacks and drank some root beer while we fished. After having some snacks, I adjusted the settings on her line and a few seconds after getting the line back into the water she got a hit. I was excited when we saw the float go under, Jade just panicked. She was trying to reel backwards and kept telling me the reel was stuck. After she calmed down and figured out what she needed to be doing, she was able to fight the fish to the top of the water.


Nikon D60, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 1/125 sec, f/6.3, ISO 100 -- EXIF
Jades First Fish

What a beauty! They call this fish ojisan (old man), because it has some long whisker type things under its chin. I'm not sure how common this fish is in Japan, but in Amami, it's a very common fish to pull up. It took Jade some time to get the fish out of the water and the fish was pretty tired by the time she did and didn't flop around at all.

After taking a few shots of her, I put some more bait on her line and she continued fishing. It was probably just a few minutes and she got another hit. This time she knew what she needed to do and it wasn't long until she had the fish out of the water. I told her to hold it up again like last time but this time as she was holding it, it started to flop around and it scared her so bad she dropped the fish. I just sat there and laughed and she started to cry. I shouldn't have laughed but it was too funny. This next photo is just as the fish flopped and she was in mid-switch of expressions from smiling nice and big to complete terror.


Nikon D60, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 1/125 sec, f/6.3, ISO 100 -- EXIF
Fish Number Two

After calming myself down and apologizing to her for laughing so hard, I put some more bait back on and we continued fishing.


Nikon D60, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 1/125 sec, f/6.3, ISO 100 -- EXIF
She's a Natural

Just like that, she had another fish on the line. She pulled it up and it was a whooper! Well, not really, but it was her third fish. It was getting late and she said she was getting cold so we got our gear together and headed home.


Nikon D60, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 1/125 sec, f/6.3, ISO 100 -- EXIF
Bringing Home Dinner

So that was Jades first experience fishing. Although she said she had a good time, I think she'll be apprehensive about going out with me again. I didn't mean to laugh so hard when she was struck with terror at the flopping fish at the end of her line and make her cry, but man, it was funny. I'll have to try and be a bit nicer next time.

2 comments:

Jeffrey Friedl said...

I thought the name "Trash Fish" was pretty odd, so had to look it up, and found it means "any fish generally considered to be rare or undesirable to sport fishermen in a given local". What's undesirable about the fish? It looks freakin' awesome in the "will strip and clean all bones on your fingers in the blink of an eye if you're not careful" sense. Not tasty?

Anyway, congrats to Jade... I used to live at a lake, and don't think I ever caught a fish as big as her first.

About the laughing, just use some "creative parenting" (e.g. lie) that you were laughing at the fish.

Did you, indeed, have them for dinner?

Amami Superman said...

We did have them for dinner, or should I say, Jade and my wife had them for dinner. There were only 2 fish so they ate the fish. I think I had some macaroni and cheese.

Oh, and as for "trash fish", I call any fish you can't eat "trash fish". But you're right, they do like pretty cool. There's another kind that I caught that had really long sharp teeth that was kind of silvery but I didn't get a photo of that. I'll have to do that next time.

Post a Comment

Keep the language clean please. I have family that see this. Tell us what part of the world you're in.