Amami Superman Photography

A Place to Share My Photos

May 14, 2010

Moss and the Mushroom Revisited

Posted by Amami Superman

Nikon D60, Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 @ 55mm, 8 sec, f/5.6, ISO 1600 -- EXIF
Glow in the Dark
(Oooo, ahhhh...)


Nikon D60, Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 @ 78mm, 30 sec, f/5.6, ISO 1600 -- EXIF
Magical

I had my friend Shoriki Satomura over one night and we were talking about photography things. I was showing him my recent batch of photos and came across my previous post's mushroom photos. He told me an interesting thing, he said the mushrooms I photographed glow in the dark. Well, I had to see this for myself. So last Monday, I loaded up my camera gear along with my habu gear (poisonous snake catching gear) and headed out to the same spot I took my previous photos and got these shots.

The first photo was taken when there was still some light in the sky, but not much. The second shot was well after dark when it was pitch black. It was a 30 second exposure so the actual luminosity of the mushroom wasn't as great as you see it in the photo. I particularly like the second because it has a little aphid type insect on the stock part and some of the glow is shown on the moss below. I wouldn't mind going again to see if I can take some better photos. The second photo is also cropped a bit.

On the way home, I came across two habu which was a stroke of fantastic luck because I caught them within about 20 minutes of each other. Usually people only catch 1 or 2 in a few hours. So all in all, it was a great night for taking photos and catching habu.

6 comments:

Che-Cheh said...

Wow mushroom that glows? I like the 2nd one too.

You mean you caught two snakes? What did you do with the snakes after that?

Amami Superman said...

Ah, good question. I should have mentioned that.

If you catch a habu, you can turn them in for tickets saying how many you caught. You save up your tickets during a month's time and then redeem then the next month for cash during a designated period usually at the beginning of the month. 1 habu is worth 4,000 yen. During the summer time when you're out driving at night, it's like cash in the road when you see one. So when I came across 2 in the space of 20 minutes, I was like, "Cha Ching!". lol I always carry my habu gear in my car during the warmer seasons here.

parv said...

So the next question is, to where or to who do you give the snake? What does that entity do with it?

Amami Superman said...

Parv,
You know, that's a good question. I imagine they use some of them for making anti-venom. The habu is a pit viper and its venom is a hemotoxin. When it mixes with blood it becomes toxic and starts to rot away the flesh, saying it simply. I've seen plenty of habu bite photos and they're pretty gruesome.

I know that they kill the habu (or put them to sleep I should say), and freeze them in big blocks there at the health center(保健所 - hokensho). They sort the habu by size before freezing them and other than that, I really don't know what they do with them. I'll have to ask about that next time.

parv said...

Thanks Earnest, your reply satisfies my curiosity. But not let stop you from sharing any other images|data that you come across. :-)

Say, are these funny mushrooms funny, plainly fatal, or just harmless?

Unknown said...

Fantastic photos!
That's difficult to take a photo. Great job!

Post a Comment

Keep the language clean please. I have family that see this. Tell us what part of the world you're in.