Amami Superman Photography

A Place to Share My Photos

Jan 21, 2010

Not the Louvre, But...

Posted by Amami Superman

I made a comment on my friend Jeffrey Friedl's blog post of his son Anthony's art project. I was impressed by his son's work and I wanted to share a picture my daughter Jade drew and colored for school so I threw in a quick link for it into the comment. I was surprised to find that a few others made comments in his blog post about the picture I shared. They said they would like to see other things my daughter has made so I decided to take some photos of drawings we have pinned up on the wall near my desk.


Here is a scan of the picture that I put a link to on Jeffrey's blog post.

"One Big Family"
By Jade Barr (age 7)

Our daughter Jade made this picture for an art project when she first started 1st grade (7 years old). She spent days drawing it first and then spent even longer coloring it. I asked my wife how long it took Jade to make, she said Jade spent around 5-10 minutes a day for well over a week. The picture was entered into a contest held by the Kagoshima Prefecture. It ended up being selected to be put on display somewhere in Kagoshima and she received an award. Almost a year later, we still hadn't gotten the picture back and we had to make a few phone calls to figure out where it was. It turned out it was still on display. When we finally got it back, we put it in a frame and now it hangs in my wife's shop. The actual size of the picture is a little bigger than an A3 size paper. I had to scan it a few times with my A4 scanner to get it all and I put it together in Photoshop. I also had to trim a bit off the edges so some of the picture is cut off.

Here are some of the pictures I have pinned up on the wall near my desk made by our daughter Jade.

Nikon D60, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 1/40 sec, f/3.2, ISO 200 -- EXIF
Pig
By Jade Barr (age 5)

Neither my wife nor I could remember why the pig was crying so I asked Jade today why and she said, "It's not crying, it's sweating because it's running." Oh, and if I told Jade I was posting her pictures on my blog, she would probably kill me. She gets embarrassed about the weirdest things...

This pig picture reminded me of a personality test I took in high school called, "The Pig Personality Test". I'll post a link to a website that has the details of the test. If you have never taken the test yet, I suggest you try it. It's kind of fun. You'll find the website with the test HERE.


Nikon D60, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 1/30 sec, f/2.8, ISO 280 -- EXIF
Missy
By Jade Barr (age 6)

My wife and I got a kick out of this picture of our dog Missy. As you can see, Missy is wearing a dress and high heels. The whole picture sort of had a goth feeling to it and what really got me was Missy is wearing a necklace and has some boobies. Where'd that come from? I also like the pink background. It almost looks like Missy is walking down the catwalk... you think?


Nikon D60, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 1/40 sec, f/3.2, ISO 200 -- EXIF
64
By Jade Barr (age 6)

We have satelite TV (SkyPerfect), and we usually only let Jade watch cartoons that are in English. One of the cartoons she used to watch was called "64". It's about a little girl but I don't know much more than that. I just remember Jade used to sing the opening theme to it, ♫"Sixty four, sixty four, sixty four..."


Nikon D60, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 1/40 sec, f/3.2, ISO 200 -- EXIF
Roller Bladers
By Jade Barr (age 6)

Not sure where Jade got the idea for this, but my wife liked it and pinned it up.

We used to buy Jade notebooks and drawing pads, but they never lasted any longer than an hour or so until every page was filled with something, front and back. We started saving printouts, old fliers for our business, any piece of scrap paper that Jade could draw on so we didn't have to buy her notebooks all the time. It's not so bad now that she's in school and has to do homework every night, but she still does a fair bit of drawing. So a lot of these older pictures were drawn on the back of some scrap paper.

So those were a few of the pictures Jade has made in the past. We have loads of pictures like these at home stuffed away in a box somewhere. Next time my wife gets them out to look at, I'll try to take some photos of a few of them to show. I'll also post some of the pictures Jade will draw in the future.

1 comments:

Jeffrey Friedl said...

Really amazing... you can tell she's a kid, but wow, the innate skill. At 6 she was doing better than I ever have. Since she enjoys it, have you ever considered having an artist sit and draw with her from time to time, to see whether watching someone much more skilled would pique her interest further?

Post a Comment

Keep the language clean please. I have family that see this. Tell us what part of the world you're in.