Amami Superman Photography

A Place to Share My Photos

Jan 18, 2010

PC Repair Shop

Posted by Amami Superman

There's a little PC repair shop near my house that has a pretty interesting wall. I was walking by with my camera one day and decided to snap a shot.


The wall is covered in thick vines almost like shrubs. They trimmed the vines and made this interesting picture on the wall. The far left vines are a hand pointing to "パソコン" (pasokon).

Nikon D60, Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 @ 18mm, 1/800 sec, f/4.0, ISO 800 -- EXIF
"Computers will definitely break."

Japanese call any desktop computer a "pasokon", which is short for "personal computer", even if it's a Mac. In English, PC is short for "personal computer", and we all know that PC's and Macs are NOT the same thing. I'm a loyal Mac user and I'm continually reminded by my friends ,who use PC's, how much Macs suck butt. I guess I'll never learn... ANYWAY, the caption on the wall uses the word "必ず" (kanarazu), and there are a few ways to say this word in English like, "surely" or "certainly". The word "故障する" (koshou suru), I thought, means "to break (down)". I was curious to know what Google Translate would come up with.


I got a laugh at that. I don't think I could "Contribute a better translation", than that...

4 comments:

Jeffrey Friedl said...

Google translation has never been as good as the old Altavista translation service (now Yahoo! Babel Fish, http://babelfish.yahoo.com/), though their translation of this is not much better (and equally true): "The personal computer breaks down by all means."

garth said...

Based on translated Japanese > English manuals I have seen for some of our Japanese made machines, I would say: "The personal computer breaks down without fail."

Thanks for the cool picture Earnest
-Gary in GR

Amami Superman said...

I've been playing around with the idea of putting a translate-to-Japanese button in. I know a lot of my wife's side of the family reads my blog and they put it through a translator to get an idea of what I'm posting about. I thought I would make it easy for them.

I tried first to use Babelfish but it ended up messing the layout up so it was almost unreadable. I would have liked to use Babelfish but it looks like it doesn't work well with Blogger.

Computer Repair Orange County said...

In a world of fast-changing technology, products, services and companies are continually being evaluated.

Post a Comment

Keep the language clean please. I have family that see this. Tell us what part of the world you're in.