Amami Superman Photography

A Place to Share My Photos

Jan 26, 2010

Winter Camp

Posted by Amami Superman

Because Amami has a warmer climate than most places in Japan, it becomes home athletes during the winter. It's not an unlikely scene to see a herd of runners making their way through town to the local sports park. We occasionally have baseball teams that come for winter camp as well.

I like to swim at the pool and I always see runners running the cross country course around the park. I usually don't bring my camera to the pool because I don't like to leave it in the car and don't want to store it in the lockers at the pool. But today, I thought I would bring it and try to take some photos of some of the runners.

Nikon D60, Nikkor 55-200mm f/4.0-5.6 @ 200mm, 1/320 sec, f/5.6, ISO 200 -- EXIF
Blazing Fast


Nikon D60, Nikkor 55-200mm f/4.0-5.6 @ 200mm, 1/200 sec, f/5.6, ISO 200 -- EXIF
Keeping Pace


Nikon D60, Nikkor 55-200mm f/4.0-5.6 @ 105mm, 1/250 sec, f/4.8, ISO 200 -- EXIF
Walking and Running


Nikon D60, Nikkor 55-200mm f/4.0-5.6 @ 55mm, 1/1600 sec, f/5.0, ISO 200 -- EXIF
Getting Ready to Bloom

I'm not sure what kind of tree this is but it looked like it may bloom some type of flower soon. I took this photo on the way back to my car and I kind of liked it so I threw it in.

As I was taking photos of these runners, I caught myself saying, "What I wouldn't give to be in shape like them..." Well, obviously I wouldn't give the time and effort they put in. lol But I'm working on that.

I didn't know if it was OK to take these runners' photos or not. I thought about getting my fat butt to run beside them and ask if it was OK, but I would have probably died of a heart attack before they could answer. One runner waved me off as I was taking photos of him so I didn't include them.

These shots let me get in some good practice. I was able to use the Continuous Focus feature on my camera which I don't have a lot of experience using. I felt these photos came out OK. I could have upped the ISO to 400 and used a faster shutter speed to lessen some of the motion blur so that's something I can think about in the future when deciding shutter speed.

Although I've had my camera over a year now, I'm still learning about its different features. 2 things that I really need to get busy and study up on are the Metering Modes and AF-Area Modes. I still don't have a good comprehension of these so that's something I'll be doing very soon.

I'm still trying out Zenfolio and these photos are all linked from there. I'll try a few more posts to decide weather or not I like it. If not I'll look elsewhere to upload my photos. If it doesn't work out, I have this same post copied and I used photos I uploaded to Photobucket.

2 comments:

parv said...

Did you take|try any panning shots? (Use low shutter speed, 1/50 s; move torso with arms locked, along with the athlete to keep in focus.)

I haven't bothered myself yet ...

Amami Superman said...

I didn't try any panning shots this time. I did try last year for a bicycle race. They didn't turn out very well. I didn't know about Continuous Focus so pretty much screwed up the panning shots. You can find some of the panning shots I took HERE for the race.

Post a Comment

Keep the language clean please. I have family that see this. Tell us what part of the world you're in.