Amami Superman Photography

A Place to Share My Photos

Jan 15, 2010

What Are They Looking At?

Posted by Amami Superman

Nikon D60, Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 @ 18mm, 1/30 sec, f/3.5, ISO 360 -- EXIF
What's in the Pond?
(more like a puddle though)


Nikon D60, Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 @ 55mm, 1/15 sec, f/5.6, ISO 1600 -- EXIF
Salamanders or Large Tadpoles?

They have these HUGE toads here in Amami and I'm not sure if these are just salamanders or the tadpoles to those really big toads. I had to get down on my stomach and sneak up on these guys or they would get scared and hide under the leaves.


Nikon D60, Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 @ 34mm, 1/30 sec, f/5.0, ISO 720 -- EXIF
Really Big Leaves

Again, I had my camera set to Auto and it took a blown out photo. I had my Metering Mode set to Matrix so it wasn't Spot this time. I'm still trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong to make my camera do this.


Nikon D60, Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 @ 48mm, 1/60 sec, f/25, ISO 800 -- EXIF
My Girl Jade

When I went to take this shot, I meant to set the Aperture to wide open, but I wasn't paying attention and set it to wide shut...

When we first got to where we wanted to watch the sunset from last Monday, the clouds were rolling in and it didn't look as though we would be able to see it. We got there early so we walked around checking things out and playing with our dog Missy. As it got closer to sunset, it looked like we were going to see it after all. I'm not sure if I like any of the photos I got of it, but I'm still looking through them and I'll post one or two if I like any of them.

1 comments:

parv said...

Matrix metering mode considers the whole frame to determine exposure. "Really Big Leaves" has much large area of relative darkness than your daughter. Perhaps that caused the image to blow out. (Short of a manufacture showing just how a matrix|evaluative metering mode works for each camera, this mode is fuzzy. But you should still try it yourself to see where this would be better suited.)

Have you tried center weighted metetring yet? Exposure priority is given to the area in, well, center of the frame. Your camera manual must have a diagram to show the coverage (assuming the camera does have CW metering mode). The coverage would be more than the center focus sensor indicator or center spot meter area. That is not to say CW metering will cover you in all cases.

If the camera lacks CW metering, then take spot meter readings over the area that you care about; average them; for good measure, bracket.

Actually, bracket in any metering mode if are unsure|or don't want to risk the shot.

OTOH, an incident light meter (borrow, rent, if not buy) would solve most of your camera-determined exposure problems.

Post a Comment

Keep the language clean please. I have family that see this. Tell us what part of the world you're in.